RE: [DNS] Guilty Verdict For Au Domain Name Scammers

From: Chris Disspain <ceo§auda.org.au>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 17:25:05 +1000
Greetings All,

See comments below.

Cheers,

Chris Disspain
CEO - auDA
ceo&#167;auda.org.au
www.auda.org.au

Indeed you are.

> 2. In a recent unrelated Federal Court case, in front
> of a Full Bench, Justices Jacobson and Bennett
> indicated that they disagreed with Justice
> Finkelstein's view that it was not necessary to
> establish that significant numbers of people were
> misled.  For all you non-lawyers this is good news for
> our appeal.

A succinct, fascinating but completely incorrect interpretation of the findings in the Tweed case. As a non-lawyer
yourself it may be sensible to refrain from providing gratuitous opinions to other non-lawyers.

> 3. By making the changes required by Justice
> Finkelstein and by not sending the same notices, I am
> able to continue selling domains by direct mail.

You could have saved yourself a significant amount of money if you had made the changes suggested by auDA some
considerable time ago (admittedly you were using a different company then so maybe you thought those changes only
applied to that entity).

> 4. No the Court did not fine me or Domain Names
> Australia.

You are correct but then, no such order was sought by ACCC.

> 5. So far costs have been reserved in the case.

Yes, they usually are when an appeal is on foot.

> 6. Please feel free to read my Media Release which I
> will post on this afternoon or tommorrow morning.

I look forward to it. Works of fiction have always been my favourite relaxation reading material.

> PS I drive a Mercedes Benz not a Ferrari and I don't
> plan to have a fire sale.

Good for you. Hope it's got a first aid kit in the back somewhere......