RE: [DNS] INTRAS NetSecurity (Brad Norrish)

From: Ron Stark <ronstark§snapsite.com.au>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 22:25:52 +1100
Interesting stuff.

First send your prospect an unsolicited bit of "free" trial software.
Then get them to read a licence agreement on your webite, that gives no
guarantee that it will actually be visible or accessible.

To quote: "You are granted a 30 days trial without charge. If the
software is not uninstalled from all computers before the 30 day mark
then you are liable to pay the license fees for the software." and
"License fees are $3630 upfront plus $252 per month inc GST for a
minimum of 48 months - a minimum commitment of $15762 inc GST."

That gives a whole new meaning to the term "not opt out", does it not?

To paraphrase that agreement, it really says "If you forget to opt out
of our opt-in-by-default trial software, you'll be liable for a minumum
of $15762.00.  The only opt-out option you have is to uninstall the
software.

You'll just have to trust us that the software will be properly and
completely uninstalled, because we have no vested interest whatsoever in
the possibility that you may be unwittingly liable for $15762.00 if it
isn't."

Their clauses under "Upgrades" also make interesting reading.  To quote:
"2.1 Unless explicitly stated otherwise any further upgrades or features
released
shall also be subject to the terms of this license.",

... and ...

"2.2 Your license to an existing version of licensed materials may at
Intras (Australia) Pty Ltd discretion expire when further versions are
released."

These clauses paraphrased read "You agree to be bound by these terms for
all upgrades and pay the $15762.00, and we reserve the right to issue an
upgrade at any time.  When we do, we can cancel your existing license at
our discretion even if you don't use the upgrade, and you'll still have
to pay the $15762.00."

I'm not a lawyer, but ...
Ron Stark