Re: [DNS] asn.au Question

From: Ian Smith <smithi§nimnet.asn.au>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 04:57:19 +1100 (EST)
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003, David Uzzell wrote:

 > Kim Davies wrote:
 > > Quoting David Uzzell on Tuesday December 30, 2003:
 > > | Ok I have a question!
 > > |
 > > | I have 1stpenshurst-scouts.asn.au which is currently partially flapping
 > > | due to be dropped of ns1.telstra.net I have no idea WHY it is flapping
 > > | other than some Overseas Nameservers are not resolving the name correctly!
 > >
 > > What are they resolving it to? A different IP? An NXDOMAIN? When you say
 > > flapping do you mean every second query works?
 >
 > Yeah Kim it looks like that some ISP's are getting correct records and
 > some are looking up the secondary being ns1.telstra.net which does not
 > even resolve NS records :( So it just returns DNS error when browsing or
 >   host not found when sending email!

Hi David,

Are you a customer of Telstra Internet Direct, with ns1.telstra.net
registered with them as a secondary nameserver?  ns1.telstra.net ceased
forwarding requests for other than their client domains some time ago.

 > If telstra was resolving correctly with NS records then at least in the
 > long run it would be picked up :(

If you're a customer of TID then the Custdata interface usually lets me
resolve problems, and if not they do generally respond well to requests
for assistance.  This is assuming your primary NS is properly set up of
course, and that your classless IN-ADDR reverse DNS is configured there?

Currently, here, your domain has both NS with diversified-data.com.au.
and no A record assigned; I can't see ns1.telstra.net related to that.

 > > | The question is www.west.net.au don't have anything automated for
 > > | ANYTHING including Password retrevial, I can't even get my password so I
 > > | can transfer it to a registrar that has an online facility that will
 > > | allow me to change my Nameservers of record!
 > > |
 > > | Anyone got any sugestions?
 > >
 > > Whilst it is kind of annoying not to be able to DIY, they have always
 > > had a fast turnaround time when I just email them my request.

Overnight at worst, here, the 2 or 3 times I've had to request updates.

 > Yeah they have also in the past! But as it is this time of year :( and I
 > am going away for 2 weeks on the 1st and I would have to request my
 > password first then request for NS record change! Wishing I thought was
 > a Good Option :)

I have to concur with Kim; I haven't had to go past email to CW to get
anything sorted so far, after the initial transfer of data for asn.au to
ausregistry was so well botched in a number of cases, including ours.

We still have 6 months to see if CW can get something together vaguely
approximating to the standard that Michael Malone ran the 'old regime'
registry for asn.au, or if moving to another registrar may be needed.

 > Oh well worry about it when I get back!

If in doubt, get on the blower .. if email doesn't work as usual.

Cheers, Ian