Re: [DNS] NetSol and AU nameservers

From: Kim Davies <kim§cynosure.com.au>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 12:48:37 +0100
Quoting Mark Constable on Tuesday December 02, 2003:

| So having our nameservers registered at NetSol has nothing to do
| with making it so that the all important glue records for our NS
| is correctly located and updated within the com.au database.

Yes.

| Can you elaborate on why "up until a few years ago" it seemed to
| be the proper thing to do (as far as I know) to register *.com.au
| nameservers with the InterNIC/NetSol ?

I don't know if I would say it was the proper thing to do. Having seen
the AUNIC source at some point I think it was just an extra feature
tacked in but not widely used. Similarly you could use a InterNIC NIC
handle (eg. KD194 instead of KD6-AU) if you wanted and I think it sort
of crudely imported it using some sort of rudimentary WHOIS parsing.

| So any domain registry that offers nameservice for it's client is
| actually a better option than the client hosting their own name
| servers within their own domain ?
|
| So for our foobar.com.au domain it would be better NOT to use
| ns1.foobar.com.au etc as our primary/secondary nameservers ?

It is a matter of religion whether it is good or bad, but the fact is
you will have to notify the parent zone if you renumber and use glue.

In fact, most TLDs use glue deliberately to reduce query load.
Obliquely most are using a naming scheme like ns[1,2,3,4].au to aid packet
compression, for the same reason. But these kind of techniques are not
really important except on high-load servers.

If I was running multiple zones, I'd just use the same nameservers for
all because it makes administration easier.

kim