Re: [DNS] what's in a web name?

From: Jon Lawrence <jon§jonlawrence.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 10:27:01 +0100
Kim

I presume you've been following the most recent developments in the sex.com
case?  For the benefit of those that haven't, the latest judgement by the
US courts is that a domain name is in fact a piece of intangible property
and therefore Verisign is liable under tort for allowing this domain name
to be 'stolen'.  The damages case against Verisign is now going ahead and
could be a very interesting precedent.  I know that US cases have no validity
as precedents in Australia but this one may have far-reaching consequences
nonetheless...

jon