Re: [DNS] domain names are old hat

From: David Keegel <djk§cybersource.com.au>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 09:56:32 +1000 (EST)
I don't often send "me too"s, but I agree with Kim Davies:

] But that said, if the aim of the marketing campaign is educating the
] consumer - I don't see why they are not educated properly with the
] correct term rather than pseudo-nonsense. This sounds like the kind of
] education where someone trying to teach people how a car works, starts
] calling the motor engine the "vroom-machine".

I would like to see education based around ideas like:
* licensing a domain name is a pre-requisite for having your own web address
* an example domain name: mycompany.com.au
* an example web address: www.mycompany.com.au
* domain names can also be used for other services, like email, eg:
	fred&#167;mycompany.com.au

Some other things Kim wrote that I strongly agree with:

] For me, the success of .au is not strongly linked to the number of
] domain names sold. For AusRegistry it is - they are there to make as
] much money as they can over the next 3 years, and ultimately to try and
] get in a position to secure the best possible advantage in a rebid for
] the registry. That is a fact of life. For registrars it is all about
] the money too - and thus number of registrations. For some that may be
] directly through volume of registrations, for others it may not be at
] all. It might just be a small but essential component of a much more
] profitable part of their business.
]
] But for everyone else, domain growth is not substantially important.
] As a consumer, encouraging everyone to register as many domain names
] as they can at this juncture in time actually harms others down the
] track. It ultimately limits choice in a finite pool, by exhausting the
] name supply. If in the year 2003, everyone is encouraged to register
] variants, generics etc., what happens to all the new businesses in 2013?
] This will always be a problem but that doesn't mean conservation efforts
] are futile.
]
] There are of course benefits to owning domain names, and educating the
] public on those is extremely helpful, and I would like to see everyone
] who would like to have one - have one. I would like to see ".au" to be
] the viable choice for all Australians, and chosen in preference to other
] TLDs.
]
] I think we should be careful about using the number of domain
] registrations and domain growth as the benchmark for success. It may be
] for the shareholders of registries and registrars, but I am not sure who
] else.
]
] I am not saying domain growth is a bad thing - it reflects positively
] on work auDA has done to improve domain policy, on market deregulation,
] in general Internet growth, and possibly even education improvements. I
] also obviously acknowledge there are some consumer benefits through cost
] reductions on a per-domain basis.

] if it had been
] thought through from the beginning it should have cost no more to do it
] in a way that works reasonably well on other browsers.

I think web authors should strive to only use portable/standards compliant
HTML that should work reasonably well on all browsers, regardless of screen
resolution.

 David Keegel <djk&#167;cybersource.com.au>  http://www.cyber.com.au/users/djk/
 Cybersource P/L: Linux/Unix Systems Administration Consulting/Contracting