Re: [DNS] Uninhibited disclosure of auDA weakness

From: jamesguy <jamesguy§guyassociates.com.au>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 21:26:33 +1000
I would like to see a presure group formed with the aim of a block vote when directors are to be replaced.  The group should put forward a director who will be able to achieve reform or at least provide a conduit for information to be generated.  I would support such a group whole heartedly.

I believe a number of interested members should provide a mandate to those directors put forward to challenge.

The person to stand at any poll could be endorsed by the group.  If you want to see change this is the way to manage it.  An alternative option would be to submit a petition to members requesting a selected number of changes in clcertain areas.

This would have impact of pressuring for reform.  auDA in my opinion is the correct body for the administration in the .au namespace.  It would not be constructive for this body to be replaced by government.  If anything it would be a crying shame if that happened.  But if auDA thinks that it can perform as it wants with blatant disregard or legal norms and ignore the workings of the real world the only course will be for govenment to regulate it or take part of its functions away.

The current round of debate in the US is aimed at anti-competitive action by ICANN.  If peope think that the US government will ignore the anti-competitive actions of organisations who contact through the US government based root and will not apply pressure at the Australian government level to the possible detriment of auDA then you should try to become a little more informed beyond just the Australian name space.

A Bill is currently struggling through Congress to get sponsorship to examine the anti-competitive deals that ICANN has been setting up with different organisations.  Also anti-trust cases have just been filed querying the arrangements that ICANN has put into place with Verisign as to exclusive wait listing.

The time for auDA to get into competitive shape is now.  The changes that may be upon the .au domain space in the near future are very uncertain.  So why fight the tide when there is time to adapt.  In any case getting in competitive shape will only be in the interest of the Australian Internet Community as a whole.

Those are my views.

James Guy