Re: [DNS] The .pro name space.

From: Kim Davies <kim§cynosure.com.au>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 12:07:05 +0200
Quoting jamesguy on Wednesday July 16, 2003:
| The demand would be significant and could be applied to doctors, professionals, where the transfer of confidential information is a requirement.  The issuing of certificates and the like would need to take place with local verification.  It seems to me that it would promote the use of the internet for the transfer of this information.  While there are curently methods available to enable enhanced security it is not widely used.  The US iniative is aimed at addressing this issue and although I am not sure of origins I would expect that the iniative was not driven by an individual submission.

This sounds like gobbledegook. The DNS has no security value whatsoever.
It is not even secure in itself - the DNSSEC initiative is buried
knee deep in the IETF process, and DNS prone to substantial security
deficiencies until it is properly deployed.

That said, it is simply the wrong layer to consider any kind of security
for data transfer of doctors, professionals etc. Surely confidentiality
and trust should be secured by the application, not because it resides
in a .pro domain!

kim