Re: [DNS] auDA media release

From: Steven Ebsary <steven§enuff.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 10:18:42 +0800
On Thu, Jun 19, 2003, Ian Halson wrote:

> On Thursday, Jun 19, 2003, at 11:34 Australia/Canberra, Steven Ebsary
> wrote:
>
> > If they want to sign a document giving a
> >reseller permission to control thier domain, shouldnt they be able to?
>
> If my Reseller moved my domain name about between registrars on a
> regular basis I would opt to change Reseller

I think most resellers would agree, there are a couple of reasons why
you would want to change the domain's registrar.

Top of the list would have to be to reduce administration costs of the
domains, like many I like to make sure my domains have correct contact
information and nameservers.

Next would have to be service, the reseller chooses a registrar based
on a number of things, service would have to be the top of it, do they
have a good interface? is thier support good?

I like to have a good relationship with companies I deal with, having
someone at the end of the phone to help resolve a issue with a domain,
that I have delt with before.

Price do come into play here, most resellers do charge a price, to register
the domain for the client and set it up, and renew it. If they client
has to pay the reseller and the registrar (when they differ, because the
reseller doesnt have a relationship with the other registrar) they start to
wonder can they go elsewhere and just pay the one company?

Think of the analogy of fixed phone lines, would you prefer to pay optus
and telstra for your home phone or would you like just to pay optus and
not care what happens then?

At the moment, having a relationship with more than 1 registrar proves to
be the best way to deal with all these issues (mainly Enetica and MelbourneIT),
but dealing with more than 1 company increases costs.

You can't think the worst of resellers reasons behind moving domains, because
honestly, most are just trying to win the clients to make that minimal
margin for doing everything for the client.

Thanks Craig for clearing up the legal issues regarding it, getting the
registrant to give the reseller the power of attorney (by way of T&C's)
is the best way to go until resellers are recognised more clearly as
resellers by auDA.

speaking for myself :)

--
Regards,