com.au Domain Names...

From: Niall Baird <nbaird§vbwebsolutions.com.au>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 17:57:39 +1100
Unless you have a trade mark which is the subject of the domain name
dispute, I'd suggest that you wouldn't have much hope of getting it.

This happened to a friend of mine a couple of years ago, where someone had a
similar business name to his company name, and he waited for the domain
renewal to come up.  During this time, he also registered his company name
as a trademark.  Once it (the domain name) was 'free', he registered it -
having the trademark gave him a certain amount of protection if it came to a
dispute b/w the previous 'owners' and himself.  While the AUDA policy
doesn't state (I think) that trademarks have more rights to a domain name
than any other company or business owner, trademark protection has been
proven in courts in both the USA and here, to be the strongest form of
protection over a name...consequently, I think AUDA would have to uphold a
dispute where a domain name was registered to someone other than the
trademark owner.

Niall Baird
VB Web Solutions Pty Ltd
www.vbwebsolutions.com.au