RE: [DNS] .oz.au ?

From: Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin§melbourneit.com.au>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 16:24:25 +1100
The second level namespace oz.au still exists.  It is now obsolete and has been for some years.  It pre-dates the world wide web.  In the early days of domain names in Australia - domain names were mainly used to identify individual computers (especially within computer science departments at Universities) - prior to the existance of the world wide web.

For example munnari.oz.au is a computer at Uni. of Melbourne that used to be the primary .au nameserver.  Another example is mulga.cs.mu.oz.au  (a computer in the computer science department at melbourne uni).

Nowadays Uni of Melb is found at http://www.unimelb.edu.au :-)

It is not possible for new registrants to register in it.  I assume Robert Elz probably still administers the zonefile for oz.au (ie makes changes to nameservers associated with entries in oz.au).  I don't imagine changes happen often.

Regards,
Bruce

http://www.auda.org.au/list/dns/
author, further information at the above URL.  (372 subscribers.)