RE: [DNS] Consumer Alert

From: Jason Pay <jasonpay§au1.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 09:59:55 +1100
There are only 375 people registered to this list. how far is a 'consumer
alert' going to get.
auDA should be responsible for stopping misleading scams by policy.

Authorised registrar's should be the only organisations which can issue
domain name registrations and renewals, direct to the customer.
resellers/affiliates should have to state who their authorised registrar
is  this should be auDA enforced policy, no disclaimer, no domain.
registrars would have to enforce this policy.

there is not a monopoly. If an affiliate or whatever you want to assign it
is selling domain names on a authorised registrar's behalf, that registrar
should be obliged to ensure that the organisation which is selling domains
on their behalf complies with the auDA policy. no acceptations. if an
affiliate does do something wrong, the registrar associated with that
affiliate should be responsible for sorting out the problem.

auDA make the rules. Authorised registrars are the only organisation from
which domains can be registered ultimately. the registrar's have signed up
to comply with the auDA policy and are charged with enforcing it opon
whoever or whatever uses their services.

if this is not the case, what's to stop an Authorised registrar from
getting a mate to sturt up a shelf company, setup a scam and then close
down, there are no repercussions for the authorised registrar, even though
there is a relationship between the scammer and the registrar.

this is a clear cut issue, auDA have the responsibility and the authority
to impose rules on authorised registrars, after all they are authorised.
there is not such thing as an unauthorised registrar, and if there were
uregister would be classes as unauthorised and should have to announce
that they are not an authorised registrar and hold no authority, or they
do not get any domains registered - that simple.

again , what's the point of being authorised - if you are not you can pull
scams and have no repercussions and make more money than the authorised.
simple solution, enforce a policy of if you register domains on behalf of
a organisation which has been identified by auDA as dodgy, that authorised
registrar may have its authorised registrar status revoked. there would
however have to be an adjudication process.

If there was an organisation which is in reseller, affiliate status - if
it was serious and was ethical, surely they would be intending in the
future to become an authorised registrar.

basically make it that authorised registrars enforce rules on the
affiliates/resellers to comply with the same rules as the authorised
registrars and if they don't the authorised registrars are not allowed to
do any transactions with that affiliate/reseller. simple as that. if the
authorised registrar continues to work with the dodgy affiliate/reseller,
then auDA reserves the right to revoke the resellers authorised status.

do this and the industry will clean itself up.

Jon Wrote:-
>Yeah lets reintroduce the monopoly and centralise as much as possible.
Competition
>is bad.  Oh yeah and lets nationalise the banks while we're at it.

Jason Pay