RE: [DNS] Consumer Alert

From: Ron Stark <ronstark§businesspark.com.au>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 23:39:51 +1100
Kim, little would change.  The car dealer does not go out of business
because he cannot make a profit on registration renewals - he offers service
and value to his core business to retain his customers.

The number plate supplier gets his business from new cars that the dealer
sells - just like it can be with domain names.

There are really two issues. One is the business model of how profits are
made.  Domain name renewal profits are so small that it's a service issue
rather than revenue issue. The real business is in added value services.

The second issue is that of managing the domain name registration and
renewal process.  Right now it's done through a central authority, using
accredited registrars. Under the current model resellers have no standing in
any case.

The car registration model is understood by consumers, and it's well proven.
The only ingredient missing, as far as I can see, is that of acceptance.

Ron Stark