RE: [DNS] Price of fish

From: Jon Lawrence <jon§jonlawrence.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 20:12:53 +0100
<snip>
Sites should not be taken down without warning especially
until the "new system"  has been in force for a couple of years and all
registrants know
the rules.
</snip>

A couple of years?? You must be kidding.

Your desire to make sure "all registrants know the rules" is also quaintly
idealistic but, in my experience, most normal people don't care one iota
about this sort of thing so you'd be waiting a very long time indeed.  They
usually rely on their reseller or registrar or hosting provider to take care
of these things for them.

Because so many people don't keep their contact details up to date, often
the only effective way to draw their attention to the fact that their domain
name licence has expired is to undelegate the name, thereby breaking any
email/web services using that domain name.  This is standard practice in
every professionally managed domain space that I have had exposure to.

Not sure what you're point is regarding propagation.  Normally a nameserver
change would take a maximum of 48 hours to propagate worldwide and usually
much less.  That leaves at least 12 whole days...

jon