Re: [DNS] Notification of DNS name server changes

From: David Keegel <djk§cyber.com.au>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 16:42:43 +1000 (EST)
] At 12:55 18.09.2002 +1000, you wrote:
] >The notification of redelegation is very much a useful feature as it gives the original DNS holders notification that they need to remove (or otherwise modify) their name server configurations. I would say 99% of customers would not notify
] >their old DNS providers - but complain bitterly a few days/weeks/months later when "old ISP" customers "can't see my new website".
]
] OTOH, it should be standard practice that ISPs monitor delegations,
] and if they lose delegations for any zone they hold authoritatively,
] they should stop being authoritative. Automated, easy, no human
] intervention required...

I don't think I would want my ISP to do something like that.

If someone managed to temporarily hijack my domain, then the
DNS servers at my ISP would stop answering queries about my
domain, which would make it more difficult to get the domain
back to the proper DNS servers (first you get your new DNS
servers working, then you delegate).  Hopefully this ISP would
just disable the domain DNS data rather than deleting it.

There would probably be other failure modes too, like a
false negative test result (maybe due to a buggy detection
script, a DNS server down, or Internet link failure) or a
stuff-up at the registry or 2LD DNS servers.

And you want to cater for people who are setting up their
DNS servers, but don't have them all ready yet so they
haven't done the delegation.  And sometimes there are
people who want stealth secondaries.

 David Keegel <djk&#167;cyber.com.au>  URL: http://www.cyber.com.au/users/djk/
Cybersource P/L: Linux/Unix Systems Administration Consulting/Contracting