RE: [DNS] WHOIS lookups

From: Mark Hughes <effectivebusiness§pplications.com.au>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 13:05:44 +1000
> It is extremely unusual that the very alert people in this
> list are not aware of related issues and documents that are
> generally circulated.

Ha.  'Scuse me while I larf.

Unfortunately its the norm for many people posting to this list to never
read (and more importantly, think through the implications of) the
information that is publicly available.

> I don't believe that the messages aren't getting through
> due to the ignorance or stupidity of the audiences - do you?

Well, for many of them I reckon the only two options are either stupidity or
maliciousness.  But I for one am prepared to give them the benefit of the
doubt and assume they are not malicious.

Regarding publicly available material, we know that RegistrarsAsia isn't a
.au Registrar, or Reseller of a .au Registrar, because the lists of those
are publicly available.

And we also know that RegistrarsAsia 'ain't much of a gTLD Registrar either.
The State of the Domain report from SnapNames shows that as a gTLD
Registrar, RegistrarsAsia was Registrar for 1,216 gTLDs at the end of Q1
2002 (93rd ranked Registrar) and was Registrar for 1,322 gTLDs at the end of
Q2 2002 (98th ranked Registrar).  Their market share in the gTLD market is
so small it shows as 0.00%.

I reckon RegistrarsAsia has taken the sensible view that operating a
Registry is a better business model than being a Registrar.  Good on 'em.

The list of Resellers on the auDA site is a good read.  If I was an
accredited Registrar, I'd sure make it a high priority to send every
organisation on that list a well thought out presentation suggesting that
the current .au Registrar that they're dealing with is grossly overcharging
them, and that they'd save money if they changed Registrar.

Its an age old business strategy to try and ensure that your competitors
don't retain lucrative accounts - you either want to get the business from
your competitor (first preference), or if you can't do that (2nd
preference), try and ensure the business they retain isn't a cash cow that
funds competition against you in other areas.  Pointing out to all those
Resellers on the auDA list that they're paying too much to their existing
Registrar might at least might prod them to negotiate a lower price from
their existing Registrar, thereby reducing the resources available to that
Registrar.

But as I'm not a .au Registrar, I'll leave it up to others to implement this
strategy if they choose :)

Regards, Mark

Effective Business Applications Pty Ltd
+61 4 1374 3959
www.pplications.com.au
effectivebusiness&#167;pplications.com.au