[DNS] domain news

From: Keith Inman <keith.inman§asic.gov.au>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 10:22:46 +1000
David's news posting included an SMH article about the Sydney opera house
fraud (see below).  It is worth pointing out that they didn't try it within
the .au domain space.   Our registry has a degree of integrity that
safeguards many Australian consumers, even if they don't know it.

My personal experience is that I have yet to come across a single example
of a domain name registration within the .com.au and .net.au spaces that
contained false details.  They may be outdated, but never false.

Is this a source of differentiation for .au?

Regards
Keith

- - - - - -
A scam to bring the house down
You and your partner are done up to the nines for a night out at the
opera, ballet or theatre.
The thieves copy official Web sites of premier venues to almost every
detail, including theatre layouts and restaurant information, and
constantly update shows. The crucial difference is the scam site has
its own credit card booking set-up, so your money goes directly into
their account.
The bogus site for Sydney appears on the Net as www.sydneyopera.org -
as opposed to the genuine site, www.sydneyoperahouse.com. But the
outfit has created 23 sites mirroring opera houses in Europe,
including Paris and Vienna's.
 http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/08/28/1030053076045.html
David Goldstein <goldstein_david&#167;yahoo.com.au>