Re: [DNS] Fwd: Notice: To Protect Your Online Identity, We Offer a High Security Feature Free to Our Customers Account # <- N-BTQK9 ->

From: Jon Lawrence <jon§jonlawrence.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 09:47:56 +0100
Rod

You are correct this offer relates to gTLDs and not .au domain names.  There
is nothing here that I have any problems with, and I've seen lots of practices
in the gTLD market that I do have problems with.

This is an offer of a free service.  There is clearly no obligation on the
customer to take this up.  The automatic renewal is also something that
many gTLD registrars offer, some of whom hide it in their terms and conditions
rather than being upfront about it being an option as Namescout are doing
here.

Having said that however this is one of a few examples I've seen lately
that make it clear to me that Namescout has not yet come to terms with the
idiosyncrasies of the .au space.  At very least they should have mentioned
which domain spaces this feature is applicable to, unless they actually
think they can offer these services in .au which is a troubling thought...

jon