RE: [DNS] Personal name registration

From: Ron Stark <ronstark§businesspark.com.au>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 13:00:47 +1000
If your turnover is below $50K, you don't need an ABN, irrespective of
whether you're a sole trader or P/L company.  If your turnover climbs above
$50K, you cannot claim back GST unless you have an ABN.

If you register your business operation, you'll automatically be given a RBN
or ACN as the case may be.  You can also operate in business without any
registration whatsoever, but you won't be able to claim back GST until you
have an ABN.

This seems to imply, then, that you can have an ABN as a private individual.

That's my understanding...

Ron Stark