RE: [DNS] Whois based domain availability check not working

From: Chris Wright <chris§regasia.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 16:50:34 +1000
Just to let you all know,

	We have tested the WhoIs check with the script in question
(Matt's WhoIs script) and have found that the reason it does not work
with our whois-check and our whois server is that the script is not
RFC-954 compliant. The script (perl and php versions) sends in its
queries only terminated by a new line (\n) not a carriage return, new
line (\r\n) as per the specification. If you modify the script and
change it to append a carriage return (\r) and a new line (\n) character
to the query it will then function as expected. Just to reiterate.. from
my previous email:

"The format of the request is a text string of the domain name followed
by a "\r\n" as per a standard WhoIs request...

For example;

To check the availability of ausregistry.net.au the steps would be the
following:

1.         Connect to the ip address and port as supplied below
2.         Send the string "ausregistry.net.au\r\n" to the server
3.         The server will respond with "Not Available" and then close
the connection

"

	I have had other similar queries from people claiming that their
old scripts that used to work with AUNIC whois no longer function with
our WhoIs I suspect that it is due to the same reason, the old AUNIC
server would only check for a terminating new line character before
processing the query.

Thanks

Chris Wright
Chief Technology Officer
AusRegistry Pty Ltd
Level 6, 10 Queens Rd.
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia 3004
Phone: 61 3 9866 1990
Fax: 61 3 9866 1970
Mobile: 61 401 873 798
Email: chris&#167;ausregistry.com.au

The UNIX philosophy basically involves giving you enough rope to hang
yourself.  And then a couple of feet more, just to be sure.