RE: [DNS] Incorrect .asn.au eligibility description on AusRegistry

From: Ian Smith <smithi§nimnet.asn.au>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 04:13:35 +1000 (EST)
Ian, thanks for your informative response,  Mine is delayed by my first
holiday with my kids in years, no excuse I know ..

Skimming through where this thread wandered off to, I'll take on board
David Keegel's advice to copy Jo Lim also, and will try to simplify my
main point first:

that the .asn.au eligibility description on AusRegistry is incorrect and
is (in my view) misleading when compared to AuDA's current published
policy, both at the date of my original post below and as I've checked
again tonight (noting two changes on the AuDA site!)

On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Ian Johnston wrote:

 > Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 07:11:43 +1000
 > From: Ian Johnston <ian.johnston&#167;infobrokers.com.au>
 > To: DNS <dns&#167;auda.org.au>
 > Cc: "Chris Disspain, CEO auDA" <ceo&#167;auda.org.au>,
 >     Ian Smith <smithi&#167;nimnet.asn.au>
 > Subject: RE: [DNS] Incorrect .asn.au eligibility description on AusRegistry
 >
 > Ian
 >
 > I raised this issue of an apparent change of .asn.au eligibility
 > policy with Chris Disspain and Jo Lim (AusRegistry present) at the
 > auDA public Seminar in Canberra recently.
 >
 > I did so on the basis that the Small Business Coalition
 > <www.setel.com.au/sbcmembers/index.htm> is a coalition of registered
 > small business associations, but it is not an incorporated association
 > and therefore would not be eligible to apply for a .asn.au domain
 > name.  So associations that formed "partnership" arrangements would
 > not be eligible for a .asn.au domain name on my interpretation of the
 > proposed eligibility policy.

That'd be a shame.  Perhaps the aim is to water it down to a easy
one-liner, thinking that people can't take in more than one point?

In my initial post, which you quoted and I've left in full below for
reference, the .asn.au definition, as quoted from the then:
   http://www.auda.org.au/register/
still included  "partnerships between disparate organisations."

However I see tonight that has since been replaced by just:
=======
 . asn.au
   Open.
   For incorporated associations, political parties, trade unions,
   sporting and special interest clubs.
=======

 > Chris said he would address this issue and his response to me was
 > positive.  Hopefully, your concern will also be addressed.

My concern is that the description at the main AusRegistry .asn.au page:
   http://www.ausregistry.com.au/domains/asnau.html
is misleading for current and new .asn.au registrants alike, still saying:

=======
   Who is eligible to register an .asn.au domain name?

   Strict policy ensures that only Australian incorporated associations,
political parties, industry bodies and sporting interest groups are
eligible for asn.au domain names.
=======

Surely this phrase 'sporting interest groups' appears to exclude all
NON-sporting 'special interest clubs', contrary to ANY of the published
AuDA definitions over time, including (presumably still authoritative):
http://www.auda.org.au/docs/auda-policy-rules.pdf

I also suspect that the words 'group' and 'club' may not necessarily be
legally synonymous.  AuDA lists specific requirements for identification
of special interest clubs.

Surely AuDA's own wording must be presented to potential applicants as
definitive of the eligibility requirements for any 2LD.au domain name?

Will Registrars start picking up on AusRegistry's definitions of policy
as opposed to AuDA's wording?  Does AuDA have any say?  Does the ACCC?

 > Someone - not the auDA Board that I can see from published Board
 > decisions - appears to have rewritten the eligibility policy at the
 > implementation stage.

How may that have happened?  Surely changing eligibility for applying
within any 2LD.au would require some sort of decision to be published,
with reasons given for altering the (accepted) Panel recommendations?

 > IMO, the current policy should stand, unless there are compelling
 > reasons for changing the policy and they are published.
 >
 > I'm was a Name Policy Advisory Panel Member.
 >

 > Ian

Indeed, and thanks again.

However I'm (selfishly I know) currently most concerned about the (in my
view) misleading material on the AusRegistry site when compared to even
the currently defined policy, and hope AuDA can do something about that.

Thanks to AuDA for publishing non-PDF versions of

 Domain Name Eligibility and Allocation Policy Rules for Open 2LDs
 http://www.auda.org.au/docs/auda-2002-07.txt

and

 Guidelines for Accredited Registrars on the Interpretation of Policy
 Rules for Open 2LDs
 http://www.auda.org.au/docs/auda-2002-17.txt

with which I have no problems (as far as I know :)

Cheers, Ian

[----------- remainder of message quoted unadorned -----------]