Value of domain names

From: Dassa <dassa§dhs.org>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 00:57:52 +1000
As mentioned in a previous post DHS International is going from a free
DNS service to a fee based one.  The aim is to make it user pays and not
a full commercially profitable venture.

We are currently in the initial stages and the signs are promising.  It
will be very interesting to see what percentage of our user base is
retained.

The point of this post is to state, users do see some value in having a
domain name and not only one in a lot of situations.  A large number of
the current supporters in DHS International have multiple hostnames.  In
same cases as high as 15-20 hostnames.

This is a practical example from a namespace which has 240,000 plus
hostnames in the DNS tables.  The different domain names on offer could
be equated to the 2LD's under the .au namespace.

There is demand out there but it has to low cost and affordable to all.
We are an international provider so feel the impact of this statement
more than .au may experience but it still holds true to a degree.

Darryl (Dassa) Lynch.