Re: [DNS] Competition between 2LDs & monopoly registry operators

From: Patrick Corliss <patrick§quad.net.au>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 17:57:26 +1000
Hi Ian

On Tue, 11 Jun 2002 11:10:11 +1000, Ian Johnston wrote:
> Patrick Corliss wrote Monday, June 10, 2002 6:03 PM
> >
> > In relation to ... [the] point about the registrars' support,
> > I see that Nexsta (a provisionally accedited registrar) is
> > not really in favour of new 2LDs.  My bet is that
> > AusRegistry (the new .au registry) is not either
> > as it would confuse their marketing strategy.
> >
> > I supect it's really a bit of a trade-off.  New 2LDs could
> > generate a demand for domain names.  On the other hand,
> > too many 2LDs could cause consumer confusion.
>
> I've repeatedly heard (as no doubt you have) the arguments advanced
> for limiting new 2LDs, including that consumer confusion is / may be
> caused.
>
> I have to say that as a consumer advocate I can see that point, but
> it's not compelling.

Agreed.  I was reporting a view advocated by others.  I don't agree with it
myself.  Personally I agree with Mark Hughes' comments suggesting that
diversity is good.  I really don't know what "diluting the name space" means.

<snip>
> Competition between 2LDs - particularly monopoly registry operators in
> each 2LD - that leads to greater industry efficiency, innovation,
> lower domain name licence prices, enhanced service quality, will best
> serve the interests of consumers.

I have always held this view but am now inclined to agree with David Keegal
and Mark Hughes.  The problem with having separate registries is the switching
cost.  This is seen in the new gTLD registries such as .biz where a registrant
is locked in.

A better model, adopted by auDA, is to have a single registry with multiple
registrars.  This allows genuine competition at the registrar level.

The registry level competition happens because registry operators must tender
to auDA for the right to provide the service.  AusRegistry was successful but
only for a limited time.  The next go round could see another registry.

As I understand it, any proposal for new 2LDs must also tender the registry.

Regards
Patrick Corliss
I'm on the Board of auDA (the .au country code). Anything I write is my
personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the views of any body
with which I am associated.  Please also note IANAL (I Am Not A Lawyer).