RE: [DNS] Competition between 2LDs & monopoly registry operators

From: Ian Johnston <ian.johnston§infobrokers.com.au>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 13:18:26 +1000
Ron Stark wrote Tuesday, June 11, 2002 11:52 AM

> Ian, what's the point of effective competition and lower
> prices, when you're dealing with a product that
> consumers neither want nor believe they need?
> (and here I'm talking about new markets)

Ron

I don't understand the point you are making.

The product I'm referring to is a domain name licence or, if you like,
a domain name.

A domain name allocated to a registrant is a globally unique product –
a pure private good.  No other person or organisation can be assigned
the same name at the same time.

That's what consumers want and get.

There's a lot of consumers of domain names (licences) out there who
have them - over 266,000 of them as at 18 October last year (according
to auDA's Request for Tender: Registry Licence Agreement for .au
Second Level Domains).

--
Ian Johnston, Policy Consultant
Small Enterprise Telecommunications Centre (SETEL)

SETEL is a national small business consumer association
advancing the interest of Australian small business
as telecommunications and e-commerce consumers