Re: [DNS] registrars and resellers

From: Patrick Corliss <patrick§quad.net.au>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2002 23:51:39 +1000
Hi Ginger

On Sun, 9 Jun 2002 20:48:18 +1000, ginger FISH wrote:
> little question :
> what makes you think .id.au is going to work ?
> who would want to register a .id.au domain name ?
> On what basis was this extension decided, what marketing value, what studies
> ? was it decided behind closed doors ( like the rest ) ?

I'm sure you are trying to be provocative here but I'll play it straight.  The
id.au already exists and was introduced by Robert Elz before auDA became
involved.  Subsequent policy changes were decided by two panels each of about
30 people for which nominations were open to the public.  These are described
on the auDA website.

Before I was on the Board I nominated myself for both the Names Policy Panel
and the Competition Policy Panel.  Although I was, at the time, an unknown
candidate, I was selected as a member of one of the two panels, viz.
Competition, on the basis of my background and qualifications.  I later
nominated for the Board and resigned from that panel.

I saw the process as very fair.  And fully public !!!

> what about having
> .aero.au or .museum.au next ?

The auDA website has made it very clear that anyone can propose a new 2LD.
The closing date is 14 June 2002.

> I'd like to know please..

It's best to check out the auDA website :)

Regards
Patrick Corliss