RE: [DNS] registrars and resellers

From: Kevin Fleming <kevin§w617.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2002 12:48:07 +1000
I cannot see the domain industry growing significantly, even with lower
.com.au prices. The current price of $140 per two years is already too low
to be a significant factor. What else can you do in a business that costs
only $70 per year? The ISP hosting your web site costs at lot more than
that.

With competition, I'm sure that price will be lowered (possibly halved) from
their current level, but it's not the cost of a domain that is the limiting
factor.

When the rules are relaxed (changed) allowing multiple domains per business
entity, this will expand the market. Additionally when (if) auDA allows more
2TLDs, this will also expand the market. I don't want to preempt the review.
No .biz.au though please !!

Of course .id.au will also have an impact - albeit shortlived. How many
derivations of jonathon-livingstone-seagull.id.au can be registered?

Once again, this is my own personal view.

Regards,
Kevin