RE: [DNS] registrars and resellers

From: Ron Stark <ronstark§businesspark.com.au>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2002 10:02:20 +1000
Excuse me for being my usual sceptical self, but I think you're in dreamland
in respect of your contention that lower prices will create a demand.

The only market sector for which domain names are important is the domain
name industry itself.  Out there in the real world, domain names are
peripheral to other services, without which domain names are irrelevant.

To trot out an analogy I occasionally use - what business would you invest
in - selling new cars (products & services) or selling number plates (domain
names)?  Nobody buys a number plate in anticipation of buying a car ... and
I'll bet that car buyers neither know nor care about the price of number
plates.

Getting a domain name is not a driver for individuals or businesses.  Having
a service to which a domain name is attached is.

Sure, you'll get some mileage from advertising the nebulous benefits of
having a domain name for its own sake, but that's a short-term market that
will quickly saturate.  And then what?  Another TLD?

The real value for the registrar is the database that results, and only then
if it can be used as market intelligence for non-domain name services.

Ron Stark
Business Park Pty Ltd
mail: ronstark&#167;businesspark.com.au
phone: +61 (0)3 9521 0649   fax: +61 (0)3 9521 0485