Trade Mark Owners and .com.au

From: Doug Robb <doug§clarity.com.au>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 16:35:20 +0800 (WST)
This week I applied for a .com.au domain with MelbourneIT
for a domain name for my registered trademark and was
refused on the basis of:

MIT> ### YOU DID NOT PROVIDE A VALID REGISTERED BUSINESS
NUMBER (RBN)

My response will be: I am a trade mark owner, not a
business.

MIT> ### DOMAIN NAME IS NOT DIRECTLY DERIVED FROM THE
     ORGANISATION NAME

My Response: There is no requirement for a trademark to
be directly derived from an organisation name. Quite simply
an organisation name doesn't and needn't exist!

Before I respond to MelbourneIT can someone let me know the
status of the current policy.  I thought the new policy was
that trademark owners can register a .com.au domain based on
their trade mark,

eg owner of trademark 'mymark' can apply for mymark.com.au
as ownship of the trade mark is now a sufficient condition
in itself to quality for a .com.au domain.

I certainly don't want to go through the charade and expense
or registering yet another business name just to secure the
.com.au to a name that I have obvious commercial
rights/interests in (otherwise I wouldn't have gone to the
trouble of getting a trademark in the first place!).

Any good advice for me?

regards doug