RE: [DNS] org.au whois details

From: Mark Hughes <effectivebusiness§pplications.com.au>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 23:54:55 +1000
> and while it is delegated and working...
> whois.aunic.net says there is no record.

There are a few possibilities.

There may still be a few old domain names left that were created before
AUNIC, so they exist in the DNS but don't have a record in AUNIC.  For
example, most of the University domain names started this way - although by
now most have had a record created in AUNIC for them.

There is also the possibility of a record being out of sync between the main
AUNIC database and the whois data - i.e. the record is in the main AUNIC
database but doesn't exist, or is incomplete, or is out of date (i.e. data
doesn't match between the two) in the whois.

www.aunic.net/aunicstatus.html is more accurate than
http://www.aunic.net/cgi-bin/whois.aunic.

If the data in the whois doesn't match the main database
(www.aunic.net/aunicstatus.html) you can force an update of the whois by
editing the domain name or User NIC Handle record.  You don't actually have
to alter any data, just use http://www.aunic.net/editDomain.html or
http://www.aunic.net/editUser.html and enter the registry key.   That should
get the whois to refresh from the main AUNIC database.

The AUNIC whois is updated twice a day at 01:00 and 13:00 to reflect changes
in the main AUNIC database.

The whole AUNIC system is a legacy system built by volunteers a long time
ago in internet years - it 'ain't perfect, but its really done suprisingly
well to last this long.

Regards, Mark

Mark Hughes
Effective Business Applications Pty Ltd
effectivebusiness&#167;pplications.com.au
www.pplications.com.au
+61 4 1374 3959