Another special .biz deal from IRA

From: Ron Stark <ronstark§businesspark.com.au>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 07:50:18 +1000
Well, I've just received an IRA spam exhorting me to register my dot com.au
as a dot biz.  Reading its contents (with my uninformed consumer hat on) I
have learned a great deal from their email ;).  Did you know, for example,
that:

- .COM was only designed for use in the USA, whereas .BIZ is for world-wide
use
- .BIZ is going to be more popular than .COM
- I could lose the name if I don't register it now.  (how can I lose what I
don't have?)
- Although I have a .COM.AU, it's not really a business domain - only .BIZ
is meant for businesses.
- You get better search engine visibility by having a .BIZ
- It's essential to have a .BIZ if you want to do business overseas.

... and all for only $198 for 2 years.

Out of curiosity I looked at their registration process and terms.  Their
service terms are something else:

- Their names availability "click here" doesn't work, yet if the name isn't
available I get no refund even if I've paid their $770 special 10-year deal.
- If my payment isn't cleared for any reason I have to pay IRA an additional
$350 fee plus costs.  (tough if I change my mind and stop payment!)
- IRA does not warrant that my domain name is accessible at all times
- Despite the fact that they offer a 10-year registration, the contract
specifically stipulates that the registration is only valid for 2 years.

Ron Stark