Re: [DNS] Interesting IRA

From: AUSCITY <auscity§auscity.com.au>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 13:27:02 +1000
I have a new IRA story from one of my clients today. It's unbelievable!

We registed a new .com.au for our client in Aug 2000

IRA send out a renewal notice in SEP 2001 and the client paid it - $251 for
two years - this was part of their "get a free .biz domain name).

IRA send out another invoice to our client today - $251 and a request for
the Registry Key (which I have thank God and the client doesn't). So I check
the expiry date at INWW and its 24th Aug 2002.  That's right, this year. IRA
never renewed the registration.

Called IRA and they say sorry about the second Invoice - "we must have
doubled up" and they go on to say they need the Registry Key before the
renewal can take place.  I say, "Not on your life are you going to get the
Registry Key", and they say they "cannot renew the domain without it".

I ask what happens about the $251 already paid - we'll accept a refund and
they so, "Not likely - that was part of the terms and conditions.  Just
provide us with the Registry Key so we can renew the domain".

So I say I will get the client to contact the ACCC and they so, "That's
fine".

BTW, a check to see if the client received their .biz (WHOIS at IRA site)
revealed it is 'available to register'.

Chas Cleland