.com WHOIS information

From: Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin§melbourneit.com.au>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 13:30:59 +1000
Hello Ian,

> What concerns me however is the fact that it is a .COM Where
> did they get
> this information from as I can't imagine them sifting through
> the whois and
> choosing only australian companies to target. The information
> must have come
> from only two sources I can think of as the domain is only used as a
> secondary name and has no email or marketing attached to it.
> The domain is
> registered through MIT and hosted with a large australian
> hosting company
> who also appear as the tech contacts for the domain (I am now
> changing this)

In relation to ".com" information, the ICANN registrar agreement requires
registrars to make the WHOIS information available in bulk form.

See section 3.3.6 of:
http://www.icann.org/registrars/ra-agreement-17may01.htm

Alternatively ".com" WHOIS information is obtained gradually be quering the
public WHOIS service of each registrar to accumulate all the information.

This problem has been addressed in the new regulatory environment in
Australia via a new WHOIS policy.  See:
http://www.auda.org.au/docs/auda-whois-final.pdf

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin