RE: [DNS] Is this the type of thing we want?

From: Kevin Fleming <kevin§w617.com>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 20:45:28 +1000
like most things - with zero legislation the opportunists rise to the
surface seeking to take advantage of every loophole. The trouble is those
prescribing the law (seem to) have little practical understanding of the
implications and practical execution. What constitutes a porn site? When is
a domain name too close? Who is going to police this? Will a domain
registrar be sued for allowing me to register a domain name that later is
ruled too close to an existing name?

At least we (in Australia) are more or less protected in the .com.au address
space. It's a shame that governments have to use a big stick to thwart those
that prey on the unwary. Mind you - what's the difference between this and
ING's marketing tactics? There is little "truth" in their strategy.
Eventually they are found and driven out of the industry - after making
their dollars and tarnishing the industry then leaving the rest of us to
work under the weight of legislation.

I'm all for civil liberties - but we (society) need to be protected from the
likes of greedy people that constantly put profits before people.