Re: [DNS] Transfer of Registrar of Record

From: Ian&#167;Lemonstone <auda§lemonstone.com.au>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 10:57:32 +1000
on 5/1/02 9:50 PM, Ian Johnston at ian.johnston&#167;infobrokers.com.au wrote:

> SETEL Proposal (3.1.2)
> <www.auda.org.au/policy/panel-name-2000/submissions/brown.html>

> - a minimum of one year licence period -- this would lower the financial
> barrier to Australian small businesses, notably the 750,000
> micro-businesses, adopting e-commerce; and

I can't understand how $125 every two years is a financial barrier. It seems
to me that prospective registrars should be focussing on the additional
services that they can provide. Obviously if the service is good the
customer will be loyal.

It seems you are oblivious to the fact that a domain name is a minimum
outlay compared to the additional services required to achieve any form of
e-commerce. A domain name needs to reside on a dns server (cost), email
boxes (cost), web hosting (cost). etc....etc...

For a registrar to succeed they should be looking at providing these
services, ideally for free, not just domain name registrations or renewals.
Oh and a minimum half hour wait on the telephone is not my idea of tech
support.....

The average domain holder is not interested in transferring their registrar,
personally I think spending an hour of my time transferring my domain to
save $5 is not cost effective. I also do not want to hear from my registrar
until renewal time and I would expect to have no problems with my domain
name. If a registrar is not capable of handling the technical side of things
they should not be accredited and I would expect auDA to review prospective
registrars technical capabilities as well as security levels before
supplying accreditation.

Thanks

Ian