RE: [DNS] Transfer of Registrar of Record

From: Jon Lawrence <jon§jonlawrence.com>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 12:10:05 +0100
<snip>
If a customer chooses a registrar knowing the serivce level agreements,
and
the registrar meets those agreements, then it is the choice of the customer
whether they wish to exit early. For example I may knowingly enter into
mobile phone contract with one provider that gives a cheap deal on a good
phone, but bceasue their service levels are so bad, I may choose to upgrade
to another provider a buy out my existing contract. This is normal business
practice.
</snip>

I'm not sure that mobile phone contracts are a good example.  These contracts
are usually based on the fact that the cost of the handset is bundled into
the monthly fee payable.  They have a minimum contract length to ensure
that the service provider recoups the cost of the handset over the life
of the contract.  This makes them quite different to a domain name licence.

Its still not clear to me why the registrant of a domain name should lose
time on their licence just because they wish to change registrars?  Surely
the registrant should be free to transfer their domain to a new registrar
without significant penalty and without having to demonstrate to auDA that
their registrar has failed to meet their stated service levels?

<snip>
My view is that a customer should be able to etner into a shorter licence
agreement (e.g 6 months, or better a minimum of 1 month). This would allow
a customer to trade of flexibility, against a lower overall cost by signing
up for a longer period. Just as gym memberships work for example.
</snip>

I agree in principle.  My primary objections about the current policy are
directly related to the 2 year minimum licence, which makes any decision
to change registrars a costly one.  If shorter licences were allowed then
my objections above are less relevant as the penalty to the registrant from
changing registrars would be reduced.  I think the idea of licences shorter
than one year is certainly worthy of consideration and would potentially
assist in creating a very competitive market environment.

I think its important not to try to create a transfers policy that creates
unnecessary impediments to the freedom of choice of the registrant in reaction
to a fear that unscrupulous operators will abuse the system.  There seem
to me to be ample measures within the specified validation processes for
transfers and in what I expect to be in the enforceable code of conduct
to deal with such practices.  To assume that these protection mechanisms
will not work without first giving them a chance seems to me to be an unwarranted
and possibly self-fulfilling admission of defeat.

rgds
jon

 That
>is their choice.
>

>In fact this does not even see like a transfer
>> but more like
>> the current "terminate and re-apply" registrations for change
>> of company
>> details when there is not change other than where the record is held.
>
>No. A terminate and re-apply allows another person to register the name
>between the terminate and re-apply.  It also allows the registrant details
>to change.
>
>A transfer in this scenario, changes the RoR and the expiry date on a
>current domain name record.  It is technically very simple, with the use
>of
>the EPP <transfer> command.
>By contrast an EPP <renew> command only changes the expiry date.
>

>> These safe guards don't seem to be there to ensure registrant
>> get what they
>> want but to rather protect the existing registrars, not to
>> mention gaining
>> record creation fees for the registry.
>
>How does that work?  The existing registrar is getting no additional revenue
>during a domain name licence period.
>
>The registry needs to receive fees to maintain a much higher level of
>infrastructure reliability, and pay off the high capital cost of
>construction.   I would rather have a strong financially viable registry,
>then one that provides a poor level of service, or even goes out of
>business.
>

>> Special case clause 6.2 which is fine.. but what constitutes a special
>> case.. auDA may want to elaborate on this.
>
>Agreed.  I suspect that auDA will elaborate this based on experience.
auDA
>has already learnt much about the new policy from the generic domain name
>auction exercise.
>

>> We have to see that this is a new competitive market between
>> registrars.
>>

>Agreed.  The new regulatory model is fairly close to the gtld model with
>better protections for the consumer (ie enforceable code of conduct).
The