RE: [DNS] RE: auDA to consider new names for .au

From: Dassa <dassa§dhs.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 22:02:04 +1000

I run a third level registry that provides free hostnames, we are about
the same size or slightly larger than the .com.au namespace.  It does
cost money and I consider that if anyone is not willing to pay $5 a year
for a hostname they don't really want one.  This is enough to cover
expenses and is not a drain on anyone.

The reasons for providing free hostnames are diminishing.  Especially
with the take up of cable and more people having static ips.  The
introduction of better schemes than ipv4 will make this trend increase.

Darryl (Dassa) Lynch.