RE: [DNS] Future of current .id.au 3LDs

From: Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin§melbourneit.com.au>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 13:40:25 +1000
Hello Paul,

> - Current .id.au registrars are given first dibs to register
> the .id.au
> 3LD they have been looking after, to continue providing
> administration and
> DNS for the legacy sub-domains within it.

My understanding is that registrants retain their ".id.au" names, in the
same way that registrants retain com.au, net.au, etc.  The domain name
licences will need to be renewed every 2 years.

Registrants will continue to be able to offer domain names at the 4th level
(ie name1.name2.id.au), as they can also in com.au, net.au etc.

The main change is that consumers will be able to easily register new names
at the 3rd level (ie name.id.au)

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin