Access to registry key

From: Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin§melbourneit.com.au>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 10:33:01 +1100
Hello Mark,

> Could someone (i.e. Melbourne IT, or one of their channel
> partners) clarify
> the following:
>
> 1. If a Melbourne IT channel partner registers / renews a
> domain name, but
> is not the Tech contact for the domain, does that channel partner have
> access to the domain name registry key?

Not currently.  Note we no longer use the term "channel partner", as
apparently there are legal ramification for using the term partner.  However
if a reseller registers the domain name on behalf of the client, they do not
need the registry key to renew the domain name, or update contact details
for the domain name.  The reseller has privileged access to the Melbourne IT
systems for the domain names that they are responsible for

> 2. Do Melbourne IT channel partners have access to domain
> name registry keys
> for domains which they didn't register/renew?

No.  If a reseller wishes to obtain a registry key, they must obtain the key
from the registrant.  The registrant may obtain the key from Melbourne IT
using the various methods online.

If a registrant wants to cancel their current reseller and directly interact
with Melbourne IT, they must provide their registry key, in the same way as
if they are transferring between resellers.  The method for retrieving the
registry key is the same in either case.

Regards,
Bruce