RE: [DNS] Withdrawing from DNS list

From: Mark Hughes <effectivebusiness§pplications.com.au>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 15:28:37 +1100
> The new code of conduct.  Will it be enforceable?, how?, and by who?

Well, I reckon its a good question.

The minutes of auDA's code of Practice committee's meeting of 13 Feb 2002
are at
http://www.auda.org.au/policy/code-committee-2002/minutes1302.html.

This is their planned timeframe:

13 February	1st Committee meeting
28 February	Initial discussion on list
25 March	2nd Committee meeting, discuss 1st draft Code
 1 April	Publish 1st draft Code for comment
12 April	Comments period closes
22 April	3rd Committee meeting, consider comments, discuss 2nd draft Code
 3 May	Publish 2nd draft Code, discuss with auDA Board
20 May	4th Committee meeting, finalise Code
 7 June	Publish final Code
10 June	auDA Board endorses Code

If they can keep to that timetable, then we should see the first draft in a
couple of weeks.

From those minutes, here's the scope:

5. Scope of Code
At the public meeting on 11 December 2001, it was suggested the following
matters should be addressed in the Code:
• transfers between registrars and resellers
• policy compliance checks
• WHOIS issues
• privacy
• communications between registrars, resellers and registrants - including
renewal notices
• consumer information
• separation of domain management functions
• continuity of business / ownership of customer information
• complaints handling - including role of auDA
• duplication of other regulatory and legislative arrangements
• customer churning
• bulk redelegations
• transfer of domain name licence between registrants.

Other issues may need to be added to the list. Transfers (at multiple
levels)
is probably the most pressing issue to be addressed.

Compliance and enforcement issues are also important. Under the Registrar
Agreement,
auDA may suspend or terminate a registrar's accreditation, or direct a
registrar to
terminate its agreement with a reseller, for breach of the Code. In many
instances,
such a severe penalty will not be commensurate with the breach, and may
cause
inconvenience or harm to registrants. Other penalties need to be considered.

Regards, Mark

Mark Hughes
Effective Business Applications Pty Ltd
effectivebusiness&#167;pplications.com.au
www.pplications.com.au
+61 4 1374 3959

http://www.auda.org.au/list/dns/
author, further information at the above URL.  (328 subscribers.)