Re: [DNS] By passing name checks with ABN's for .au's

From: Stephen <admin§lawyer.net.au>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 01:39:37 +0800
With respect Mark that's probably not true. Its been a while since I
registered a company, but my recollection is that ASIC didn't care what you
called the company as long as it wasn't F*#$ Off Pty Ltd (although swear
words in foreign languages are generally acceptable), or identical with
another name. They may have had some rules about deeming 2 names to be
identical when one was a plural of another, but they may not even go that
far.

ASIC is not equipped, nor appropriate, to determine trade mark disputes, and
nor are domain registrars at the registration stage. They have to be
determined by some sort of judicial process where each side produces
evidence and argument. Sure some cases such as Microsoft are obvious, but
what about "acme"? There is no clear point at which you can draw the line
between an obvious trademark dispute, that can be left to a bureaucrat to
determine, and one that needs argument. Thus they are all required to go to
dispute resolution.

Trade marks are registered in different categories. You can register ABC as
a trademark for software and I can register it for clothing, without either
of us infringing the other's rights. In some cases it is not so clear cut
and there can be overlap between what the two contenders produce.

Stephen Gethin
IT Lawyer