RE: [DNS] Au Domain up for Auction?

From: Dassa <dassa§dhs.org>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 19:06:41 +1100

<snip>
|> Since the com.au policy is being altered to specifially allow
trademarks and
|> 'substantial connection to the name' as grounds for a com.au domain
name,
|> then we're going to have the situation where businesses have brands /
|> trademarks with matching com.au domain names.
|>
|> Its a common practice to build up the value of a brand name or
trademark,
|> and then sell it to another entity - it happens all the time.  The
domain
|> name is going to have to go with it, or it makes a nonsense of
allowing
|> trademarks or a 'brand' as a ground for obtaining a com.au name.

I would agree that selling a domain name as part of a business would be
a necessity.  The difference here is where a domain name is being sold
without any value adding to it.  It is being sold purely as the domain
name without any effort having been put into building up any branding or
good will in it.

What is normally used as part of the criteria for a bad faith
registration under an ICANN UDRP action.

Darryl (Dassa) Lynch.