RE: [DNS] Now I am ANGRY

From: Mark Hughes <effectivebusiness§pplications.com.au>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 00:44:01 +1100
> the solution to outdated data is not to create
> lots of little databases,

Sorry, I think I worded my earlier comments poorly.

My thoughts were more along the line that Registrars will probably hold more
information about a domain name licensee than the whois database will - e.g.
billing contact person, maybe credit card details, etc.  The whois data with
technical and admin contact would I think be just a sub-set of the info held
by a Registrar.  And different Registrars may choose to hold different info,
although the data fields that are used to update the whois would be common
across all Registrars.

Since each Registrar may decide to hold more info than is in the whois, I
guess they'll hold it in a database that will include:

* Basic Domain info
* Admin & Tech contact details
* Various other details

Therefore lots of little databases is exactly what we will have.

The data covered by the first two of the above bullet points would be the
ones copied to the whois database within one week of changes, in accordance
with clause 11.2, I guess.

I'm making the assumption (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that the
new Registry and whois won't hold any billing details - that will all be
left to the Registrar to manage.

Regards, Mark

Mark Hughes
Effective Business Applications Pty Ltd
effectivebusiness&#167;pplications.com.au
www.pplications.com.au
+61 4 1374 3959