Re: [DNS] Now I am ANGRY

From: Kim Davies <kim§cynosure.com.au>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 08:13:47 +0800
Quoting Ron Stark on Saturday March 02, 2002:

| 1 - Inform and educate the consumer - it's ignorance, not stupidity, that's
| being preyed upon.
| 2 - Give the Code of Conduct some substance and real teeth.
| 3 - Only permit sales (other than direct to the registrant) to take place
| through resellers that have signed up to the CoC, thereby turning it into an
| enforceable contract ... or (shock/horror, I am one) eliminate resellers as
| such, and only allow billing through registrars.  There's nothing to stop
| registrars from paying a commission to agents (resellers).

Agreed. Education and Enforcement is the best solution. Eliminating
resellers however is not desirable, nor do I think it is possible.

ISPs and web developers register a sizeable amount of domains on behalf
of their clients. To kill resellers would force them to take on the
onerous task of becoming a registrar, or make their customers lives
difficult by dealing with two companies and cutting two cheques for
their Internet service.

kim