Generic domain names auction

From: Patrick Corliss <patrick§quad.net.au>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 16:37:27 +1100
On Sunday, December 30, 2001 1:54 AM, Mark Hughes wrote:

> I reckon that for many of the generic domain names it'd be pretty simple to
> identify a list of 50 or so organisations (many with substantial budgets)
> that would qualify for the domain name.  Since you're working off existing
> databases, they'd pretty much all meet the August 13 eligibility requirement
> as they'd either have a company name, business name, or a 'close connection'
> to the generic domain name.

Obviously the broader the interpretation of a "close connection", the more
people will be eligible to apply.  Should the interpretation be "broad" enough
(e.g. anyone in that industry) so many people will be eligible to apply that
the force of the restriction will be lost.

> Given that certain organisations (no names, no pack drill) have been sending
> a veritable blizzard of paper mail to thousands of businesses offering to
> handle their domain name renewals, my suggestion above appears to be a much
> more targeted approach that involves sending a much smaller amount of paper
> mail, and might give a higher response rate.

My experience is that there is little interest in "generic" domain names.  I
have several and only one person has ever shown any interest.  That was a
Catholic church member who liked "truth.com.au".  When I told him that "Truth"
was the name of a former soft porn newspaper in Melbourne, he lost interest :)

However, under the present scheme, I am eligible to apply for one or more
generic domain names.  In fact, one domain name on the list is one that I have
previously applied for (and been refused on the grounds that it was generic).

The more important question is not whether you or I think they have any value
but whether the market "out there" thinks so.  It's what is sometimes referred
to a "second guessing".  The theory was explained by John Maynard Keynes in
terms of beauty contests.

http://www.google.com/search?q=keynes+beauty+photographs

Of course, as you say, a good result benefits auDA and its membership as well
as other domain name holders at the expense of those who would pay a premium
over the normal registration fee.

> Regards, Mark
>
> PS  Its possible that unscrupulous operators trying something similar to the
> above will highlight what I believe is a flaw in the generic domain name
> auction process, but I won't mention what it is since a) it might not happen
> and b) I could easily be wrong :)

You are rarely wrong, Mark.  And if it can happen it will.

Murphy's Law :)

> Mark Hughes

Best regards
Patrick Corliss
I'm on the Board of auDA (the .au country code) as well as TLDA (the Top
Level Domain Association).   Please note that anything I write is my own
personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the views of any body
with which I am associated.  Please also note IANAL (I Am Not A Lawyer).