New 2lds

From: Adrian Stephan <akstephan§ozemail.com.au>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 01:15:58 +1100
Bruce Tonkin made the following comment in his post [DNS] phone book
analogy.

Your suggestion to create new 2LDs will be the subject of ongoing policy
review by auDA next year - it would be great to have a submission from you
to the relevant panel at the time.

This is quite an interesting piece of information and actually sets in place
a process that should apply to the list of generic words.  The list should
be screened against the ASIC database and any identical word matches should
be removed from the list.  Bruce's statement implies that in the future
there will be new 2ld's and one of them might enable true identities as
domain names.  Even at this stage that it is foreseeable, means that to put
these names to auction may deny people rights they might probably have in
the future.  Or, will this fall into the case where after 2 years someone
who paid a truckload of money at auction may find the name taken from them,
or at least strongly contested.

The good part about it is that Bruce has just made words such as  logistics
worthless (which it always has been).  Who would bid for the name under such
uncertainty?  I believe a category for true identities is inevitable in the
not too distant future.  I don't have a problem with www.logistics.com.au
and www.logistics.ivn.au co-existing.  However, others may not have the same
tolerance.

Although I have used a specific case, no doubt the process could apply to
other words in other categories.

There are probably some names that can go to auction, but any name that is
identical to a lawfully approved name "owned" by an entity should be
withdrawn.

It should be a "no brainer" to accept that there is a need now, and will
become more necesary in the future as the issues of identity theft become
better understood, for a category of identity verified names.  As suggested
before to use this category you must have an ACN, ABN, etc and the word must
be identical in every respect to the word on the ASIC data base.  No
alterations of any type allowed.     Let those who are entitled register
their names in that category, then go your hardest on the auction.  But, it
must be done in that order.

For the record:

1.	I request that any word that is identical in every respect to a lawfully
approved name (e.g. company, business, entity, etc) be removed from the list
for auction.

2.	I request auDA create a 2ld specifically to deal with true identities as
described above.  This approval is needed as a matter of urgency and must be
done before the auction takes place.

Merry Xmas

Rgds

Adrian
Adrian Stephan (Managing Director)
Logistics Pty Ltd
POB 5068
PINEWOOD  VIC  3149
Ph: +61 (0)3 9888 2366 Fx: +61 (0)3 9888 2377
akstephan&#167;ozemail.com.au
adrian.stephan&#167;logistic.com.au
www.logistic.com.au