RE: [DNS] auction question

From: Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin§melbourneit.com.au>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 12:27:30 +1100
Hello Mike,

See:
http://www.auda.org.au/about/minutes/board-200108.html

and in particular:
"The board decided that while the list of generic domain names will remain
open until shortly
before the auction, applicants for generic domain names should be eligible
to hold the name as
at 13 August 2001. This will minimise the opportunity for people to register
business names
solely for the purpose of registering generic domain names. This is intended
as a measure of
protection for those people who have applied for names in the past and would
otherwise have
been eligible to hold them but for the restriction on generics. ER voted
against this decision."

The minutes for the above Board meeting did not appear until some time after
August.

Until that point, the auction process was only an idea proposed by 3 members
of the 31 person names panel and discussed in Attachment B of the Final
Names Panel report:
http://www.auda.org.au/docs/auda-name-eligibility-final.html#ATTB.  It was
not a panel recommendation.

Regards,