RE: [DNS] Notional value of a domain name

From: Ron Stark <ronstark§businesspark.com.au>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 17:02:41 +1100
Hello Jo.  I don't want to perpetuate this as a legal or procedural
argument, nor do I expect a definitive answer.  Nevertheless I'm grappling
with the entire issue from a business and commercial standpoint, not from
having confused "value" and "property".  Let me illustrate:

If I invest time and money into an building up an asset (even if
intangible), I expect some protection, or at least some security of tenure
beyond the continuing good will of a registrar or auDA.  Thus, if over time
I develop my business to the point where my ordinarily registered domain
name is worth a great deal, I'd like to be able to have the option of
selling it; of using it as collateral; showing it on my balance sheet; using
it as an asset to increase the selling price of my business; indeed,
whatever I may want to do to leverage off any other asset I may have.

The present risks of losing the use of the name mean that despite its value,
it's really worthless.

Now to the auction scenario.  If I pay (say) $100 000 for a generic domain
name, I have an asset worth what?  $250 000 because I can increase its value
in the market place?  Or $NIL, because I can't sell it?  $NIL because my
"ownership" (albeit via a licence) is insecure?

And what of the tax position in both cases.  In the first instance, have I
increased the name's capital value and exposed my business to a tax
liability?  And in the second instance, do I claim the name's cost as a tax
deduction, because I've incurred a cost instead of acquiring an asset?

At the moment if I attach a domain name to my trademark my protection is
nominally enhanced.  Nevertheless, my fundamental risks remain.  And so does
the conundrum of having an identical commodity worthless in one
circumstance, and worth auctioning in another.

I still think that the present policies can have punitive consequences that
were not intended.

Ron Stark
Business Park Pty Ltd
mail: ronstark&#167;businesspark.com.au
tel: +61 (0)3 9592 6895   fax: +61 (0)3 9591 0729