RE: [DNS] Notional value of a domain name

From: Ron Stark <ronstark§businesspark.com.au>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 13:52:04 +1100
Chris, thanks.  My point still is that an auction process, during which the
domain name applicant pays a (possibly substantial) sum of money - certainly
well in excess of a simple registration fee - immediately bestows a value on
that name.

In one of my earlier posts I raised the issue of the potential that a
registrant may inadvertently or as a result of policy change be penalised,
by losing use of a domain name that has acquired a value in the market
place.

In general terms the response was that a domain name as such has no value.

My difficulty remains.  Apparently to support the right of auDA to
"confiscate" a domain name, it is deemed to have no intrinsic value.  Yet on
the other hand, to support auDA's right to auction a name to the highest
bidder, it is deemed instead to have a value.

Ron Stark