Re: [DNS] Domain name industry structure

From: Kim Davies <kim§cynosure.com.au>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 07:58:23 +0800
Hi Bruce,

Quoting Bruce Tonkin on Monday December 17, 2001:

| >    Current                         New
| >    ====================            ==================================
| >    Delegant:  auDA                 Delegant:  auDA
| >    Registry:  AUNIC                Registry:  AusRegistry
| >    Registrar: Melbourne IT         Registrar: Lots (i.e. competitive)
|
| Your description of the current oversimplies.  Melbourne IT, Uni.of Melb,
| and AUNIC each perform one third of the registry function.  A fairly unique
| situation and inefficient, thus the need for a new model.

I would argue the role Melbourne IT (generating the zone file) is a very
minor function of the registry. Essential yes, but minor.

The role Melbourne University plays is basically equal to that of all
five com.au name servers (Melbourne University, RIPE, iiNet, NASA, and
Connect.com.au).

I don't think splitting down either role is particularly important in a
broad overview.

If anyone in interested in the complete existing framework, I have
drawn a diagram it is at http://www.auda.org.au/docs/technical-report.pdf
on page 7. As you can see, I consider the DNS service as a seperate
function to running the registry. It is usually provided by a variety of
organisations, not the registry provider.

regards,

kim