international domain news

From: David Goldstein <goldstein_david§yahoo.com.au>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 22:54:20 +1100 (EST)
Telstra launches .name domain space for Bigpond customers
Telstra yesterday launched a new .name domain space to its one
million Telstra BigPond Home customers, saying they can now keep the
same Web and email address for life.
 http://www.it.mycareer.com.au/breaking/2001/12/12/FFX803HZ3VC.html

Court: U.S. law trumps domain decisions
Decisions by international arbitrators in cybersquatting cases can be
challenged in U.S. court, an appeals panel has ruled.
Reversing a lower court, the 1st U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in
Boston on Wednesday found that federal courts have jurisdiction over
international domain name disputes, including those filed with the
World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), a Geneva-based
arbitration organization approved by the Internet Corporation for
Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN).

http://investor.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-8105325-0.html

Register.com: Its Domain Expands
Register.com, a dot-com survivor, has fallen hard: Its stock dived
from 100 in early 2000 to 10 on Dec. 5. But it's making money and has
strong growth prospects. So says Jonathan Cohen of JHC Capital
Management in Greenwich, Conn., who thinks the stock is a good play
on the growth of the Net. Also, he figures Register.com is one of the
few attractive takeover targets around. Its business is registering
Web domain names--those ending, for example, in .com, .net, and .org.
In 2002, says Cohen, Register.com will get a big boost when new
top-level domains, in which it owns a controlling stake, are
opened--such as .pro, available to doctors, lawyers, accountants, and
the like. Cohen says encryption, verification, and authentication
will be required for the registrations, thus swelling Register.com's
revenues.
 http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/01_51/b3762147.htm

NIPC urges more attention to domain servers
Corporations need to ensure that their domain name servers are fully
redundant and geographically dispersed to avoid risking prolonged
loss of connectivity to services such as Web browsing, remote log-in
and e-mail, the National Infrastructure Protection Center (NIPC) has
cautioned.

http://europe.cnn.com/2001/TECH/internet/12/13/nipc.domain.idg/index.html

http://www.cw360.com/bin/bladerunner?REQSESS=91V0181B&690REQEVENT=&CARTI=108711&CARTT=14&CCAT=1&CCHAN=4&CFLAV=1&CPAGEN=ArticlePage&CPAGET=-99999&CSEARCH=&CSESS=-99999&CTOPIC=

Turn Your Parked Domains into Profit Machines
It kills me when I type in a domain name to see what's on the site,
only to find myself at the registrar's "Parking Page" (which
advertises the company where the domain was registered). It's an
absolute waste of a good domain. I'm sure that if I've typed the
domain in, other people have as well. Unfortunately, there's no way
to track your actual visitor statistics, as the domain resides on the
registrar's server.
 http://www.ecommercebase.com/article/623

http://shopping.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Shopping
- Free CDs for thousands of Priority Shoppers!